I love Johnny Cash’s gospel songs more than his pop songs.
I love this one, and have sung it hundreds of times.
2. It was Jesus
Here is singing at a concert. I read his book where he said he wanted to be a gospel singer, but the man at the record business in Sun Studios wanted him to just sing the rockabilly stuff.
3. I saw a man
A Baptist minister in South Africa lent me this Johnny Cash record. When I was learning to sing this song, it felt like such a holy feeling. Like I was on holy ground when I sang it.
I saw this album on sale many years ago, so bought a whole bunch and sent them to all the family. A few years ago when we were in Scotland, my sister Kathy asked me to sing this song, but I had forgotten the words. So it is so nice to find it on the youtube.
Jesus said He is the light of the world.
I sang this one at my sister Valerie’s wedding reception. We did a lot of singing together as children. My parents had a room called: “The Lord’s Room” and we had church in the house five times a week!
I bought this record back in about 1972, and many times I could feel the Holy Spirit moving when I sang it at various church meetings.
8. Over the next hill we’ll be home
Many times on the road, I would sing this song as we were nearing our destination.
Another favourite gospel song I sang in my childhood, except, I used to sing “railroad.”
10. The Fourth Man
When my kids were little, we often sat around the fire at night in the garden, and I would play my guitar, and sing this one.
When I sang this one, I used to change the names of the places to suit the country I was in.
12. Are all the children in – Gospel Song written by Johnny Cash
This is such a powerful song. One weekend in Witbank in 1971, I sang this song at the end of three different meetings, and about 50 young people responded at each meeting, giving their hearts to Jesus. I have this song on my LP record, with a friend playing the Hawaiian guitar.
13. I call Him
I sang this one night at a church service, and the evangelist mentioned it in his sermon. The next night I was singing on the TV, when the evangelist came on right in the middle of the show, and I had to come on right after him singing: “Honeycomb won’t you be my baby.” I felt so terrible. That was the beginning of me switching to gospel songs.
14. I won’t have to cross Jordan alone (by the Jordan River)
This is so beautiful. Johnny Cash by the Jordan River singing one verse of this good old gospel song.
15. I won’t have to cross Jordan alone (whole song)
This is the record version. The other week I heard William Branham sing this on the internet, and it felt so holy. I had forgotten that Johnny did this number too, so I am so glad I found it.
With beautiful pictures.
17. Old rugged cross – when he came out of intensive care – TV show
Johnny does sign language for the deaf.
18. This train is bound for glory
20. What on earth will you do for heaven’s sake
22. Over the next hill – with Anita Carter
A road trip movie.
23. The old account
An old man movie.
25. Why me Lord
26. Help me
27. The greatest cowboy of them all
28. When the roll is called up yonder
A train movie.
With train robbers movie.
30. It is no secret (what God can do)
A sunset movie.
Tank in Israel.
32. God will
33. When He reached down His hand for me
With a sea movie.
35. Amazing grace
With old day’s ship movie.
With a ship movie.
38. Matthew 24 (is knocking at the door)
With a movie of the great depression.
40. Here was a man
With beautiful paintings of the life of Jesus.
41. Old rugged cross – with Jessi Colter
45. Unclouded day – with his Mom – “live”
46. Silent night – with Daughters – “live”
47. He turned the water into wine – “live” – in prison
48. Were you there
49. Here was a man
With pictures of Jesus.
50. I’m gonna try to be that way – “live”
52. Lead me gently home Father – “live”
55. Do Lord
56. What is man – with Lucy Clark
With Israel movie.
With an old day’s movie of Tram Street.
58. Just a closer walk with Thee – TV show
59. Old rugged cross – with June Carter – at a stadium
60. I’ll fly away – with Carl Perkins – TV show
61. Rock of ages
62. Family Bible
63. Keep on the sunny side – with The Carter Family – TV show
64. Far side banks of Jordan – with June Carter by Jordan River
65. If we never meet again this side of heaven
66. Farther along
67. The preacher said, Jesus said – TV show
68. At the cross
69. I’m just an old chunk of coal
70. He’s alive
71. Wonderful time up there – “live” performance with singers and band
72. My God is real
A nice song.
74. God has my fortune laid away
A rare old TV performance.
76. When the roses bloom again
A very sad movie, but we all must die one day. The most important thing is to get saved by giving your life to Jesus, and receiving Him as your Saviour.
77. Old time religion – TV show
78. When the saints go marching in – TV show