Country Gospel Songs are my favorite type of music, so I am sharing some songs with you that I enjoy, and hope you enjoy them too. God bless America, and the rest of the world.
1. The Old Country Church – The Browns
2. They tore the old country church down – Victor’s Quartet
3. Me and Jesus – Tom T. Hall
4. The baptism of Jesse Taylor – Tanya Tucker – Country Gospel song
Someone came onto my website looking for “Who wrote the baptism of Jesse Taylor.” I believe it was Johnny Russell.
5. I want to stroll over heaven with you
6. I saw the light – Bill Anderson
7. Just a closer walk with thee – Patsy Cline
8. They tore the old country church down – Jake Hess and The Imperials
9. Little old country church house – Stanley Brothers
10. Where the soul never dies – Jim and Jesse
11. Father on – Alaska String Band
12. Lily of the valley – Jesse Lee Campbell
13. The Family Bible – George Jones
14. I’m using my Bible for a road map – Sunnyside Bluegrass Gospel
15. Turn your radio on – Down Under Bluegrass Band
16. In the sweet bye and bye – Ben Hester
17. When we all get to heaven – Bill Jolliff Band
18. Higher ground – The Purple Hulls
19. Bluegrass Gospel Medley – The Isaacs
20. Satisfied – The Kingsmen “live”
21. What a day that will be – Southern Raised
22. A friend in high places – Joyce Igo
23. It’s all about Him – Alan Jackson
24. Suppertime – Jimmie Davis
25. God walks these hills with me – Porter Wagoner
26. Lord build me just a cabin – Hebron Boys
27. Mansion over the hilltop – Dailey and Vincent
28. I’ll never be lonely again – Carol and Jimmy Snow
29. Wait a little longer please Jesus – Daniel.O’Donnell
30. I once knew a preacher man – Don Foster
I wrote a few hundred songs when I was young. This is one of them, based on a true story.
31. Thank you Lord for your blessings on me – Tom and Debbie Trammel
On our first visit to America, we heard a lady sing this song in church, and it found a place in my heart.
32. What would you do (if Jesus came to your house) – Porter Wagoner
33. Please don’t send me to Africa – Scott Wesley
This is a very funny song. Well done Scott.
34. Be careful of stones that you throw – Hank Williams
35. The farmer and the Lord – Jimmy Dean
36. The outlaws prayer – Johnny paycheck
Johnny gets kicked out of church for his long hair, then he remembers seeing a picture of Jesus with long hair.
37. Kneel and let the lord take your load – Marty Robbins
38. The baptism of Jesse Taylor – Donna Fargo
I have this one earlier, but here it is again by Donna Fargo. I first heard this song back in 1976, when we were visiting in Virginia, USA. I heard this it on somebody’s car radio, and loved it. Back in South Africa, I found it in a record store in Hillbrow, sung by Connie Smith, so I bought it, and sang it. It means a lot to me. I have met some people in South Africa who were like Jesse Taylor, and whose lives have been changed by faith in Jesus.
39. Why me Lord – Kris Kristofferson
Back in the 70′s I sang at a high school in Roodepoort, and a schoolboy lent me this record, which I sang quite often.
40. The Fourth Man – Johnny Cash
I had a record of Johnny Cash singing this song. In Germiston we had a big yard at one house where we stayed, and we used to make a fire in the garden, and sit around it singing. I often used to start with this song as we sat staring at the fire.
41. The Old Account – The Peasall Sisters
I used to sing this song a lot when I was young.
42. Wouldn’t take nothing for my journey now – The Happy Goodmans
I heard this song back in the 60′s by Jimmy Swaggart, and am so pleased to find it here by The Happy Goodmans.
43. Come and dine – Ashlee Blankenship & Blades of Blue
44. I was born to serve the Lord – Becky Thornton and the Alder Creek Bluegrass Band
45. I`m a poor rich man – The Gospel Plowboys
46. Jesus got a hold of my life – John McKay
47. The world didn’t give it to me – Tammy Faye
48. Each step I take – Victor’s Quartet
49. Why me Lord – told and sung by Kris Kristofferson
It is very interesting to hear the story behind the song.
50. The hem of His garment – Cowboy Copas
I heard this song on a record at Pastor Ogden’s house in 1966 when I was doing military training in Gwelo, and it is so nice to find it again on the YouTube. May God bless these people who are loading up these wonderful songs.
51. He knows just what I need – Booth brothers
52. Soon and very soon – Praise Him
53. Put your hand in the hand – Praise Him
54. Shouting time in heaven “live” – Gaither Homecoming – The Hoppers
55. Little boy from the carpenter shop – Bonnie (Edwards) Wallace
I have sung this song many times. It has a very powerful message. I first heard it on a record by Andre Pelser, when I had meetings with John Hitchcock in Fort Victoria (Rhodesia).
56. Jesus said it – Sign R.A.C.
I think this is to do with sign language, but it reminds me of a dancing church we had meetings with when we first visited America.
57. Excuses – Kingsmen “live”
He cannot remember all the words.
58. Excuses – Kingsmen
This version has the full words of the song.
59. I love you Jesus – Wanda Jackson